Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jenn's Personal Bio

The first time I remember being aware of photography was when I got a Fischer Price camera for my seventh birthday. It was a small bright blue plastic rectangle, with soft black plastic caps on each end (in case of an unfortunate meeting with the cement) and a bright yellow cord, just long enough to carry the camera neatly around my neck. The first image I ever made was through my neighbors’ living room screen. I was just tall enough to see my friends through the screen, and I yelled with excitement “Look at my new camera!!” I was so excited I couldn’t even wait for them to come outside. So they came to the window and I made my first image-the two neighbor girls, their upturned noses pressed against the screen, framed by the white peeling painted window frame. I haven’t stopped making images since.

Although I’ve been told I’m pretty good at “pure” photography, my passion has always been experimental in nature. As I grew to appreciate the rules of photography, I also grew to appreciate breaking them. I love breaking traditional techniques down, and seeing how far I can take any new technique I stumble upon. I’ve experimented with chemistry in the dark room, altered the surface of the photographic paper, mixed media’s, and manipulated my images through camera shake and long exposures, for as long as I can remember. So the majority of my photographic work reflects my experimental tendencies, but also strives to project a larger concept other than simple experimentation.

No comments: