Thursday, June 5, 2008

New Desk

I've been getting more and more into recycle, reuse, and upcycling these days. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upcycle) Most of the time I recycle because I'm financially limited, but I think being creative about old things-furniture especially, can lead to really creative cool pieces that are one of a kind & better for the environment. Here's a pic, sorry no before image :( I forgot, of a desk I acquired from my Grandma. I re-painted it a la Pottery Barn, using a semi-gloss Behr paint from Home Depot & the original hardware. Before it's green make over it was a worn brown stain & some of the drawers had chipped veneer's. I sanded it down before I painted, took off the chipped veneer, & filled cracks w/ wood putty. The whole project cost about $20, was really easy, & one of my sisters actually commented that it "looked right out of Pottery Barn!" :)


The next project I'm working on is a work table for my studio. I'm using re-claimed wood from some factory boxes that were out on the curb for free! Is there any other way? ;) I'll post pics of the progress so we can see the before & after of my upcycled worktable!

No comments: